Immigrant rights groups called Friday for Gov. Gavin Newsom to end policies they say ease the transfer of prison inmates to federal authorities despite California’s efforts to provide a sanctuary to those who are in the country illegally. The groups asked Newsom to stop prison officials from holding parolees until they can be picked up by federal immigration officials. California passed a law in 2017 barring local and state agencies from cooperating with federal immigration authorities over those who have committed certain crimes, mostly misdemeanors, but critics said it doesn’t apply to the state prison system.
Posts from the same category:
- Prosecutors: Kansas drug network tied to Chicago dismantled
- Brazil gang leader puts on silicon mask and wig in attempt to flee jail disguised as his daughter
- 43 million Americans are baking under record temperatures
- Report: California prisoner confesses to killing 2 molesters
- Criminal investigation opens into fire aboard California dive boat: source