Iran’s only female Olympic medallist Kimia Alizadeh announced Saturday she has permanently left her country, citing the “hypocrisy” of a system she claims humiliates athletes while using them for political ends. “Should I start with hello, goodbye, or condolences?” she wrote on Instagram, as Iran reeled from Wednesday’s accidental shooting down of a Ukrainian airliner that killed all 176 people onboard. Alizadeh, who won a bronze medal in taekwondo at the 2016 Rio Olympics, cited oppression by authorities in the Islamic republic.
Posts from the same category:
- AP Analysis: New questions rise as Iran says it downed plane
- Iran confirms two missiles fired at Ukraine airliner
- Iran says Ukrainian plane was on fire, tried to turn back
- OIC criticises Malaysia's Muslim summit
- A massive wave capsized a cargo ship loaded with 6,000 cattle off the coast of Japan, said surviving crew member