Like every Thursday night back then, Angela Merkel was relaxing in an East Berlin sauna on the night of November 9, 1989 as the Berlin Wall fell, dreaming of tasting oysters in the West. The future chancellor of Germany was indulging in a favourite German winter pastime on the night that led to German reunification. “Every Thursday, I would go to the sauna with a friend,” Merkel, in power since 2005, recounted to Berlin schoolchildren a few years ago.
Posts from the same category:
- German media, lawmakers point finger at Moscow over executed Georgian
- US F-16 warplane crashes in Germany with pilot taken to hospital
- Former Acting Attorney General: ‘Abuse of Power Is Not a Crime’
- Former Nazi SS guard, 93, goes on trial in Hamburg
- US murderer executed after choosing electric chair