Afghanistan’s Taliban leaders agreed they wanted a deal with the United States, but some were in more of a hurry than others. Taliban negotiators were at odds with their Council of Leaders, or shura, about whether to travel to Camp David even before President Donald Trump abruptly canceled the high-stakes meeting planned for last weekend . According to Taliban officials familiar with the discussions, the shura opposed the trip to Camp David and chastised the negotiators who were eager to attend.
Posts from the same category:
- Trump calls off Afghanistan peace talks after claiming he was due to meet Taliban at Camp David
- Taliban visits Moscow days after Trump says talks 'dead'
- Donald Trump denies overruling Pence and other advisers on Camp David meeting with Taliban
- Afghans cautiously welcome halt to secret US-Taliban summit
- Taliban launch major attack on Afghan city of Kunduz