Police blocked a march Sunday by thousands of protesters in Pakistani-controlled Kashmir who wanted to move toward the highly militarized Line of Control that divides the territory between Pakistan and India. The marchers are protesting the lockdown in Indian-administered Kashmir. Police placed shipping containers on the road and deployed a large contingent of officers near Jaskool, 8 kilometers (5 miles) from the frontier to stop the supporters of the Jammu-Kashmir Liberation Front, which announced it intended to cross the frontier to help Kashmiris under Indian oppression.
Posts from the same category:
- Young boys tortured in Kashmir clampdown as new figures show 13,000 teenagers arrested
- Hong Kong protesters form human chains to call for democracy
- India blocks SMS services in Kashmir after trucker killed
- Texas shooting: Seven dead after ‘white male’ opens fire in Midland and Odessa
- Texas police who led black man down street by rope will not face criminal probe