A humble loaf of bread has become a new symbol for Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protesters who have embraced a slew of colourful and sometimes surreal memes as they push the Beijing-backed government for reforms. Activists have begun bringing loaves of “Life Bread” — a local brand beloved by Hong Kongers — to demonstrations, or leaving them next to protest walls after a video of a police officer taunting protesters went viral. The footage was shot last week during a siege by police of Polytechnic University where a tense stand-off unfolded between riot officers and hundreds of activists who barricaded themselves inside.
Posts from the same category:
- PHOTOS: Hong Kong police storm university held by protesters
- DC Police release body camera footage from fatal shooting
- Vigil for black man killed by white officer in Texas thrown into chaos as white gunman arrives ‘to protect my city'
- Student's emotional allegation of sexual assault by Hong Kong police sparks investigation and anger
- Five wounded as knife attack caps day of Hong Kong political chaos