Soldiers of People’s Liberation Army (PLA) are seen in front of a sign marking the 70th founding anniversary of People’s Republic of China before a military parade on its National Day in Beijing, China October 1, 2019. (Photo: Thomas Peter/Reuters) China celebrated its growing power and confidence with a big display of military hardware and goose-stepping troops in Beijing on Tuesday, overseen by President Xi Jinping who pledged peaceful development on Communist China’s 70th birthday. The event is the country’s most important of the year as it looks to project its assurance in the face of mounting challenges, including nearly four months of anti-government protests in Hong Kong and an economy-sapping trade war with the United States. (Reuters) See more news-related photo galleries and follow us on Yahoo News Photo Twitter and Tumblr.
Posts from the same category:
- Hong Kong police break up scattered clashes between rival protesters
- Trump takes back seat as China bristles over Hong Kong unrest
- Hong Kong protesters seize roads in defiance of China warnings
- Chinese military personnel parade near Hong Kong border: AFP
- Xi Hails Future of China-Hong Kong Relations as Protests Rage