A 60-year-old American has died of the new coronavirus, the first confirmed non-Chinese death of the illness, U.S. officials said, as millions of Chinese began returning home after a Lunar New Year break that was extended to try to contain the outbreak. While the vast majority of cases have been in China, the virus has spread to some two dozen countries abroad, including five British nationals infected in a French mountain resort. The American man died on Thursday in Wuhan, epicentre of the virus outbreak in the central Chinese province of Hubei, a U.S. embassy spokesman said in Beijing on Saturday.
Posts from the same category:
- Foreigners stranded in Wuhan by virus tell of fear and rations
- Wuhan bans cars, Hong Kong closes schools as virus spreads
- China's isolation grows as virus toll reaches 259
- China's Communist Party is purging local officials as public anger mounts at coronavirus epidemic that has killed more than 1,000
- Kim orders South's buildings at resort in North be destroyed