The Israeli military on Sunday said it has thwarted an attempt by the Hamas militant group to hack soldiers’ phones by posing as young, attractive women on social media, striking up friendships and persuading them into downloading malware. Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus told reporters that the phones of dozens of soldiers had been infected in recent months, although he said the army detected the scam early on and prevented any major secrets from reaching the Islamic militant group. Conricus said this was the third attempt by Hamas to target male soldiers through fake social media accounts, most recently in July 2018.
Posts from the same category:
- The Latest: Israeli troops kill gunman near Gaza fence
- Israel strikes Gaza after rocket fire: army
- Israeli airstrike kills Islamic Jihad commander in Gaza home
- How Lincoln Project anti-Trump Republicans got into his head. Spoiler: It was easy.
- Facebook finds pro-Trump group helped make hundreds of accounts to spam comments with attacks on Biden